I might drop by my second straight Reagan Republican luncheon today, to hear the debates between Jim Brannon and Don Pischner for county clerk and Lori Thomas and Steve Matheson for county treasurer. I haven't seen Don in years, since he was a state legislator. It'll be interesting to see if the candidates focus on qualifications and the tasks of the jobs (which probably should be nonpartisan). Or if they get personal at all. I'll report back. Now for today's Wild Card ...
A Dayton fan holds a sign during the first half in a regional semifinal game against Stanford at the NCAA college basketball tournament today in Memphis, Tenn. (AP Photo/Mark Humphrey)
Question: When did you last have your eyes checked? Moi? In January.
Citing health reasons, former Coeur d'Alene schools chief Hazel Bauman has resigned from her position as superintendent of the Central Kitsap School District. The western Washington district announced Tuesday that the school board there accepted Bauman's resignation on Monday. “This is a terrific district and community, and I’ve enjoyed my time here,” said Bauman, in a prepared statement released by the Central Kitsap School District. “We’ve got some great initiatives underway, and I’d been looking forward to leading this work through next June. Unfortunately, my health will not allow me to continue. I would just ask for privacy for myself and my family during this time”/Coeur d'Alene Press. More here.
- 5:18 p.m. Caller along Government Way/Hayden reports possibly finding human scalp in desk drawer.
- 5:05 p.m. Coeur d'Alene Police Department activities report March 26-27 here.
- 4:53 p.m. Vehicles are swerving to miss large piece of metal @ w/b I-90/MP 10 (west of NW Blvd).
- 4:46 p.m. Friends of local high school student report she's making suicide threats on Facebook.
- 4:32 p.m. 1 vehicle in 2-car crash has rolled over @ n/b H41/Hayden, Rathdrum Prairie.
- 4:23 p.m. Vehicle is broken down in turn lane of s/b H95/Hanley Avenue, CdA.
- 4:19 p.m. 2-vehicle, noninjury crash reported @ e/b H53/MP 1 (near Hauser Smoke Shop).
- 3:55 p.m. Smoke reported in area of Grouse Meadows/Mullan Trail, Bonanza Ranch area.
- 3:34 p.m. PFPD officers on scene of an undisclosed trauma @ Collingwood/Columbia.
- 3:26 p.m. Officer reports female she was chasing crossed Honeysuckle and jumped fence in Davis subdivision/CdA.
- 3:17 p.m. Merwyn's tow truck engine is emitting smoke @ H95/Prairie Avenue, Hayden.
- 3:12 p.m. Caller reports DUI male left Lucky Lucky Pines trailer park on Potlatch toward Seltice Way/Post Falls.
- 3:10 p.m. Dispatch gets broken 911 call reporting single-vehicle crash on e/b I-90 near top of 4th of July Pass.
- 2:24 p.m. Teen male spinning brodies in vehicle in field near Talon Lane/Hanley Avenue/CdA.
- 2:12 p.m. CPD seeks stolen, red 1995 GMC Sierra pickup w/cracked window & skull & antlers decal.
- 1:40 p.m. Possible structure fire @ 316 S. Pinewood Drive/Post Falls.
- AM Scanner Traffic
Dan English, the former Kootenai County clerk who affiliated with the Idaho GOP to vote in the closed GOPrimary in May, casts a furtive look around after he was greeted warmly by President Jeff Ward at the noon luncheon of the Kootenai County Reagan Republicans: "You're a Republican now!" (Photo: Duane Rasmussen)
- Hopper Jr. to manage Bunker Hill Mine/SNP
- Fugitive of the Week: Shane Andrew Russell/Press
- Mystery solved: It's a water tower/Brian Walker, Press
- CdA teen murder suspect idolized 'Grand Theft Auto V' character/KXLY
- New Mexico State coach denies interest in WSU job, sorta/Jacob Thorpe, SR
- Post Falls High seniors meet professionals at Reverse Job Fair/Brian Walker, Press
Time 2 Vote ...
U.S. first lady Michelle Obama practices tai chi with students at Chengdu No.7 High School in Chengdu in southwest China's Sichuan province. Obama's weeklong trip to China has included opportunities to try out tai-chi, walk the Great Wall and feed the pandas. You write the cutline. (AP Photo/Andy Wong)
Wednesday Winner -- Psalm 37, with 5 likes: Egads! That is the longest and whitest tongue I have ever seen! You can see Wednesday photo and reall all the Cutline Contest entries here.
Post Councilwoman KerriT: "Well that was quite a hail storm that just passed over Post Falls."
- 'Things shouldn't be so hard'/End Notes
- Day 86: Evening commute/Eye on Shanghai
- Obamacare -- dumb & dumber/Dogwalk Musings
- 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' get new look/7 Blog
- A bit more perspective around here/Grip on Sports
- What happened to Carrot Top? Who cars?/Out of Kilter
- So what do you do with a book like this one?/Simple Mind
- Unleashed dogs pose threat to winter-weary wildlife/Outdoors
There’s really no point in even trying to gloss it up. Compared to now, Coeur d’Alene in the early 80’s was a rat hole. A handful of now long-gone troublemakers who smeared our beautiful town with an ugly reputation were just beginning their public antics with a bang, actually a series of bangs as bombs were detonated throughout town in the name of hate. The economy reeked like a dead, lead-poisoned Rainbow Trout after the glory days of the local logging and mining industries fizzled out, leaving behind loads of unemployed workers and major environmental disasters to clean up. Playland Pier had gone into disrepair and burned down, leaving the local tourism industry with nothing much to promote but the lovely polluted lake itself. Downtown was full of vacant storefronts and was being taken over each night by wild gangs of mullet-sporting, Jack Daniels-chugging youth cruising up and down Sherman and parking their El Caminos long enough to blare some AC/DC, smash some bottles, and pick up hair-sprayed members of the opposite sex/OrangeTV, Get Out! North Idaho. More here.
Question: Do you remember Coeur d'Alene in the 1980s?
A & D Mini Mart: $3.16
356 E. Appleway Ave & 4th
Coeur d'Alene Weather
Current conditions: Cloudy
Temperature: 34° F
Wind: N 6 mph
Feels like: 29° F
Visibility: 5 mi
Sunrise: 5:42 am
Sunset: 7:47 pm