The Boundary County Sheriff’s Office said Thursday that media reports indicating dozens of dogs have been shot dead in the woods near Bonners Ferry are wrong. Reports began circulating this week that up to 90 dogs may have been shot and their bodies left in the woods, a number that is “significantly inaccurate,” according to a news release from the Sheriff’s Office. There have been “a few isolated reports” of dogs being killed in the last year but those cases were not related, the Sheriff’s Office said. There have been arrests in some of the cases. People who have firsthand knowledge of the death of a dog are asked to call the Sheriff’s Office at (208)267-3151/Nina Culver, SR.
"Right!! A Gay Arab Socialist Muslim!?!? It's kind of like bigfoot or the Lochness Monster, many people have claimed to see it, but there is no definitive proof of existence, just a few blurry photos circulating on the internet!! Maybe something there, Maybe not, but still Scary stuff!!!" -- CWM (RE: former Coeur d'Alene School Board chairman Tom Hamilton's Facebook claim that the "Muslim gay boyfriend" of a local fourth-grade teacher co-taught a Society Studies class.
Question: Can you think of other things or creatures as legendary as Bigfoot or a "gay Arab socialist Muslim"?
Former Green Bay Packers offensive lineman Jerry Kramer is putting his ring from the first Super Bowl up for auction. Green Bay Press Gazette Media reports the ring is one of 60 items Kramer is selling through Heritage Auctions. The other items include Kramer's game-used jersey from Super Bowl I and his Packers Hall of Fame ring. Kramer, who will turn 80 this month, played with Green Bay in the 1960s. He said he is selling the items to clear his house of things he doesn't need and plans to use the money to create a college fund for his five grandchildren/ESPN.com, AP. More here.
Question: Is this something you'd like to own?
- Public records/Coeur d'Alene Press
- No extra funding for Idaho roads/SR
- Kootenai County in expansion mode/Press
- No mass killing of dogs in Boundary County/SR
- 900 5th-graders attend human rights event/Press
- Lakeland voters to consider $5.3 million levy/Press
- Few lawmakers attend anti-Islam Statehouse talk/SR
- Thursday Poll: More than two-thirds of Hucks Nation bought at least one ticket for the $1.6 billion Powerball lottery. 157 of 227 respondents (69.16%) said they bought a ticket for a chance to become wildly wealthy. 70 of 227 respondents (30.84%), including Yours Truly, said they did not buy a ticket.
- Today's Poll: Do you think the Facebook rant by ex-CSD trustee Tom Hamilton re: a 4th-grade Social Studies lesson is newsworthy?
In his weekly Cheers & Jeers column, Opinion Editor Marty Trillhaase of the Lewiston Tribune gives CHEERS ... to Idaho legislative budget committee co-chairwoman, Sen. Shawn Keough, R-Sandpoint.
The way things are going in Idaho's Panhandle, Keough takes a risk every time she thinks for herself. The latest example: An as-yet unidentified group that has put up the site www.retireshawnkeough.com. Among its distortions, it claims Keough is pro-abortion. No, she voted against Boise Republican Sen. Chuck Winder's 2012 bill to require anyone seeking an abortion to submit to state-sponsored rape - an invasive transvaginal ultrasound. Winder's idea was so outrageous that even the conservative Idaho House buried it. It calls her anti-gun rights. No. But neither did she think it was a good idea to inject concealed weapons into a college campus setting. Idaho lawmakers disregarded the advice of just about everyone -- such as cops, students, parents, faculty and college administrators -- to follow the dictates of the gun lobby. Not six months later, the skeptics were proved right when Idaho State University professor Byron Bennett accidentally shot himself in the foot while giving a lecture. More here.
A former Coeur d’Alene school board member’s recent Facebook rant about a Muslim volunteer speaker at Hayden Meadows Elementary has sparked a cultural debate on Facebook. “If you don't ask your kids every single day ‘what did you learn at school today?’ you really, really need to,” former Trustee Tom Hamilton posted on Facebook last week. “This week's Social Studies lesson in a 4th grade classroom in the Coeur d'Alene school district was ‘co-taught’ by the teacher's Muslim gay boyfriend who is currently in the US (from the UAE) so they can get married. The lesson included putting turbans on the students so they wouldn't be ‘scared of’ Muslims.” Hamilton went on to say a 10th-grade Coeur d'Alene High School English teacher recently told students “with borderline hysteria: ‘If your parents vote for Trump then all the Muslims in the US will end up in internment camps!’" Contacted about the post on Thursday, Hamilton said he did not intend for the post to be a “witch hunt.” He would not name the teacher involved/Jeff Selle, Coeur d'Alene Press. More here.
DFO: Obviously, I consider this story newsworthy, or I wouldn't have posted it on Huckleberries Online. However, Shoshone Conservative indicates below that he doesn't consider it news worthy. What do you think?
In his weekly Cheers & Jeers column, Opinion Editor Marty Trillhaase of the Lewiston Tribune gives JEERS to the legislators who traveled to Malheur Wildlife Refuge to legitimize the protest by individuals who have taken up arms against the federal government:
You'd think Washington state Rep. Matt Shea, R-Spokane Valley, and Idaho state Reps. Heather Scott, R-Blanchard, Sage Dixon, R-Ponderay, and Judy Boyle, R-Midvale, would have something better to do. You know - like their jobs in Olympia and Boise, respectively. Nor can they take a hint. Oregon state Rep. Cliff Bentz, R-Ontario, asked them to mind their own business. But there they went on a "fact-finding" tour to meet with the armed insurrectionists led by another outsider - Nevada's Ammon Bundy - who have occupied the refuge area and won't leave until the federal government surrenders. If you're looking for a dispassionate gathering of facts about the Bundy boys, don't expect to obtain it from legislators who make the Tea Party look like the Urban League. More here.
Question: Did the visit by legislators Scott, Dixon, Shea and Boyle add legitimacy to the armed insurrection at Malheur Wildlife Refuge?
Building a crude oil terminal in Vancouver, Washington, puts Spokane and other communities at risk from increased oil train traffic, without offering any local economic benefits, opponents of the project told state officials Thursday night. Four more oil trains daily would pass through downtown Spokane on elevated tracks if the Vancouver Energy Terminal is built, heightening the risk of a fiery derailment, they said. “There is nothing in this for Spokane, only risk,” said Sierra Club member Dennis Todara, who works in a downtown office building. “Our office windows look out over the train tracks. We’re just hoping to stay lucky”/Becky Kramer, SR. More here.
Question: Do you view increased traffic from oil trains in terms of risk only?
Fewer than 20 of Idaho’s 105 lawmakers attended a Statehouse presentation Thursday night on refugee resettlement featuring two anti-Islam speakers, as close to 100 protesters lined the hallway outside the meeting, carrying signs saying, “Love Your Neighbor As Yourself” and “Refugees Welcome.” The Rev. Shahram Hadian told an audience of nearly 200 people, “I’m not against refugees, but I’m against this particular program as it stands. … This program is broken, it’s corrupted.” He and Christopher Holton, vice president of the Center for Security Policy in Washington, D.C., said they believe Islam teaches that its adherents should kill non-believers, and they said the U.S. should be examining the ideologies of those it considers admitting as refugees/Betsy Russell, Eye on Boise. More here.
At the start of his police interrogation, 14-year-old Eldon Gale Samuel III admitted shooting his father in the stomach the night of March 24, 2014, after an altercation in their Coeur d’Alene house. But then he blamed his father for attacking his 13-year-old brother Jonathan, who was hiding under his bed. “I can still hear his screaming,” Samuel, referring to his autistic brother, told two Coeur d’Alene Police detectives. He told them his wounded father had crawled to Jonathan’s bedroom, shot the boy with a shotgun and attacked him with a machete.
On Wednesday, Samuel’s defense attorney told the jury it was Samuel who killed both his father and brother in the tiny emergency housing unit owned by St. Vincent de Paul North Idaho. Samuel is charged with first-degree murder in his brother’s death and second-degree murder in his father’s death. Now 16, he is being tried in 1st District Court as an adult.
The jury Thursday watched the first part of the police interview, which is over four hours long. The rest of the video will be shown in court Friday.
When a detective asked Samuel if he knew why he was at the police station in the interview room with them, the boy replied, “The murder thing.”
He explained he had shot his father because his father was ranting about zombies, had ordered Samuel to get out of the house, and then struck him in the chest area when he refused to leave. “He hit me again and I shot him,” Samuel told the detectives. He also told them he shot his father three more times in the left cheek and left temple that night.
One of the interviewers was Detective Jason Wilhelm, the school resource officer at Lakes Magnet Middle School where Samuel was in eight grade and had gotten into trouble for bring a pair of handcuffs to school. Wilhelm reminded Samuel they had spoken about that incident at school.
Jim Morin/Miami Herald